The Latest: Xiangshui chemical plant blast victims mourned

2019年03月28日 14:24:20 | 来源:ourjiangsu.com

字号变大| 字号变小

  More than 200 people, including local officials, armed military, police and fire fighting officers, rose and stood in silent tribute Wednesday morning to mourn the victims of the Xiangshui chemical plant blast. The deadly explosion has claimed 78 people so far.

  Present at the memorial ceremony were top officials from the State Council and the provincial government.

  They were Wang Haoshui, deputy head of the investigation team of the State Council, member of the emergency management ministry and chief engineer, Fan Jinlong, member of the provincial party committee, executive deputy governor and deputy secretary of the provincial party committee and deputy governor Fei Gaoyun.

  The death toll from March 21's chemical plant explosion in Jiangsu province has increased to 78, with 13 others still in critical condition, according to a rescue team at the scene.

  Fourteen victims were found after rescue teams searched 20 enterprises near the blast center in a chemical park in Xiangshui county, Yancheng city, rescuers said in a press release Monday afternoon.

  The search and rescue have effectively ended and clear-up efforts have begun at the blast site, said the release.

  Among the 78 dead, 56 have been identified, while the remaining 22 are yet to be identified.

  Of the previously reported 28 missing people, 25 have been confirmed dead after DNA tests, while the other three are safe, according to rescuers.

  By midday Monday, 566 wounded remained hospitalized, including 13 in critical condition and 66 others with severe injuries, said rescuers.

  Medical monitoring at hospitals near the blast site shows no chemical poisoning in patients, the rescue team said.

  Houses in the towns of Nanhe and Chenjiagang have been damaged, along with houses near the chemical park, of which 89 were seriously damaged and are to be demolished, the team said.

  Residents who lived in these houses will be resettled according to their wishes, such as moving to the city or nearby towns, or having their houses rebuilt at the original site, according to the rescue team.

  Another 863 less damaged houses will be reinforced, while houses that were slightly damaged, such as those with broken doors or windows, will be repaired within a week, said the team.

  In the meantime, the State Council has ordered a national inspection on potential hazards of dangerous chemicals and safety assessments on all chemical industry parks across the country after the explosion in Xiangshui.

  An urgent notice issued by the Work Safety Committee of the State Council asked authorities related to safety production nationwide to strictly follow the instruction President Xi Jinping made after the Thursday blast in a chemical industry park in Xiangshui county of Jiangsu.

layer
快乐分享